Sunday 10 January 2010

Personal Project

This was the original idea I came up with, with a rough outline of the project I wanted to do. To promote a charity fund raiser appealing to females of my age, especially students. I focused too much on the purpose of the brief than the product that i'm making, which delayed me.
One idea I had and really liked was have a kitsch 50s/60s theme, with Vargas pin-up girls or housewives on the image as the fund-raiser was to swap vintage and thrift clothing, and the two themes have a strong association. I left most of the tutorials feeling confused about my project, and the design definitely reflects this;

this is the final poster design, i was really unhappy with the outcome. from my initial idea it had got far too messy and i was confused with what direction i wanted it to go in. I like the overlapping collage of cut-out girls but thats the only part i like. the ideas i had throughout the project got muddled and the resulting product really didnt live up to my own expectations.




After I presented my work infront of the class, Pete said to work on the idea over christmas and make it more personal to me, as the old design didnt reflect me or my work atall. I kept the kitsch and cheeky theme, with the title and retro colour and design (the light pink and squares are quite 50s/60s). i cut up Vogue and Elle magazines to make a different kind of collaged image. I wanted to keep with the idea of two girls in a bedroom trying on clothes and accessories, but this time it has a more edgy feel, with the collages not quite fitting together and the limbs out of proportion. i'm very happy with the image and think it goes well with the text and colour. it stands out on a white background, and i'm much more happy with this second design than the first. I think i learnt alot from this project, to stop listening to conflicting advice/criticism and produce something i really love, because in the end it's my own work and i want to be proud of something i'm presenting. I'm definitely considering this when going into my FMP.

No comments: